This principal accountant maintains the organization's general ledger for major areas of responsibility. She or he consults with internal clients at all levels across the organization to answer financial questions and provide advice and analysis on proper accounting. Further, this incumbent, working in complex areas, is a key contributor to the preparation of financial statements and develops new reports in response to, or anticipation of, ongoing business needs. As a principal professional, the accountant uses advanced knowledge of GAAP, internal financial systems, and other accounting standards to conduct major research and analysis, review and interpret historical transactional activity, and take a key role in complex month-end and year-end close processes. At this career level, the incumbent leads major, complex accounting processes and projects for multiple countries. Further, she or he regularly coaches and oversees the work of other specialists and related staff and is a respected professional in the Accounting discipline outside the organization.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate for children – raising the awareness of the needs, neglect, nurture, and potential of children in poverty and challenging and enabling those within one’s influence to greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of children.
- The primary purpose of this experienced professional includes using discretion and ingenuity to consult with internal customers and advise on the effectiveness of proper use of accounting practices and reporting to make informed business decisions. The incumbent leads problem-solving efforts with internal clients when complex procedural and technical issues arise.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and definite source on the organization's financial practices as well as trends and best practices in the accounting discipline.
- Reviews and analyzes monthly/annual financial close processes for errors or misclassifications and corrects as needed. May also prepare and/or review key journal entries and account reconciliations if needed.
- May analyze financial statement reports to provide insight into the decisions of internal clients.
- Frequently coaches, provides expertise, and may oversee the work of other professionals and support staff in the accounting department.
FaithHas a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Accountable for supporting, upholding, and engaging in Compassion's core "Cultural Behaviors" in all internal and external communication and relationships.
Bachelor's Degree Accounting, Finance, Management Information Systems, Business Administration, or related discipline
Fifteen years Professional experience working in accounting, finance, or a similar field.
Licenses and Certifications
Certified Public Accountant.
*** Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above ***
Working Environment: Office – Standard Office Environment
Physical Demands: Sitting, standing, and/or walking for up to 8 hours per day
Travel Requirements: May be required to travel up to 10% of normal schedule